Bus Safety Tips
- Safety precautions are vital before, during and after school. If your child is transported by bus:
- Walk with him/her to the bus stop if it is a new experience. All students are expected to be at their assigned stops five minutes before the bus is due. The bus CAN NOT wait for you.
- Talk with him/her about where to stand. Students should stand back from the road in an orderly manner.
- Bus riders should realize that procedures for movement and seating arrangements are regulated by the driver.
- Explain to him/her the dangers of crossing a street or intersection. All students who need to cross the road will do so in front of the bus, after it has stopped and the bus driver has motioned you across.
- Become acquainted with your child’s bus driver.
- Advocate supervision. Form a group of parents whose children wait together at the bus stop. Parents are responsible for supervising children at bus stops.
- Students in Kindergarten, grade one and grade two will not be allowed off of the bus unless an adult is at the stop to meet them. Students who are not allowed off the bus will be returned to the school and placed in the Linked Together child care program at parent expense. Parents will be called in this event.
- All passengers must be seated while the bus is in motion.
- The driver may assign seats if it is deemed advisable.
- Permission must be given by the driver before opening a window. Passengers will not extend arms, legs or hands out of a window, or shout at pedestrians.
- Nothing shall be thrown IN the bus, OUT OF the bus or AT the bus.
- Pupils shall keep the bus clean and sanitary.
- Do not talk to the driver except in an emergency.
- Students shall not mar or deface the bus. Damage done must be paid for by the offender or his/her parents.
- Do not place lunchboxes, instruments, books or other objects in the aisle.
- Normal conversation is allowed. However, loud talking, shouting and unnecessary confusion may divert the attention of the driver and could result in a serious accident.
- No live animals or bulky objects will be allowed without previous permission by the driver.
- No one may leave the bus any place other than their scheduled stop without a written note from a parent and approval of the principal.
- If a driver is unsuccessful in obtaining proper behavior on the part of a student, disciplinary action will be taken, possibly resulting in loss of bus privileges.
- No sharp objects, please.
We encourage ridership on the school buses. However, the right to ride a school bus is directly related to a pupil’s behavior, attitude and practice of Transportation Rules and Regulations. The driver is in complete charge and must be obeyed. Students who misbehave on the bus will be reported to the principal. Reported students will receive an Office Referral Form or Bus Incident Report. (RSAs 189:6-a, 189:9-a, Newmarket School District policies JIC, JICC, EEA, EEAEC)